Preliminary Exercise - 'Sonny Jim'

My Opening Sequence - 'Remembrance'

Saturday, November 1, 2008

Death Proof - Diner Scene


Okay, so I was watching the new Quentin Tarantino film
Death Proof last night and I came across this scene which I thought would be quite useful to analyse for continuity. The scene shows four main characters sitting in a diner talking about past experiences. On first glances, this scene appears to be quite boring, however, the way it is shot makes it rather interesting. The whole scene is one take, with no cut-aways or shot-reverse shots in between. The camera just arcs across the table to show the different characters during the conversation. I think this is a very effective way of filming the scene because it makes it seem as if the audience are a part of the conversation; it seems to be happening in real time right in front of us. It draws the viewer right into the centre of the conversation and I think that it works really well. Another brilliantly directed and intelligently shot film by Mr Q.T!!

No comments: